?

Log in

No account? Create an account
EXCELSIOR, YOU FATHEAD!

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> FREE ICE CREAM

December 16th, 2006


Previous Entry Share Flag Next Entry
08:31 am - this moment of humility has been brought to you by the letters F and B, and by the No. 13, baby.
I've had the Beach Boys by way of Frank Black stuck in my head for the last 36 hours or so. (And in a lovely bit of snakeheads eating their heads on the opposite side, I just realized that not only do I have in my musical collection a Beach Boys cover by Frank Black, but also a Pixies cover made to sound like it was done by the Beach Boys in their Smiley Smile days.)

Anyway. The Wikipedia guy I had contacted earlier this week wrote me an apology. If you don't know what that's all about, don't worry, it's over and done with. One of the things that I had told him when the whole kerfuffle went down was that it's always important to remember that on the Internet, the things you say and the actions you take can be observed by anybody and everybody -- and whether or not you know it, someone can be directly affected by what you do too.

And what did I do after taking the moral high ground with all the sagacity of someone who's been there before? I turned around and called Mac Daniel from the Boston Globe out for calling me out for calling the new MBTA web site out for not rendering correctly on my choice of browser. I used words I don't normally use (and I'd check to see how many times I've used the words online in the past, only Googling for 'spatch' and 'douchebag' right now just doesn't seem appealing to me for some reason.) And now it's quoted for posterity in at least one other public venue.

Oops.

It's always a pain when you learn the lesson after you've already taught it. Hang on to your ego, indeed.

So, in conclusion, this cat would like to wish you all a happy Hanukkah.



PS: I directly blame Little Britain for getting the word 'kerfuffle' stuck in my regular vocabulary. Yeah, I know.

(6 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:derspatchel
Date:December 16th, 2006 03:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
To be fair, I'm reasonably sure they didn't yank the site because it wasn't working right in Opera for XP. ;)
[User Picture]
From:reveritas
Date:December 16th, 2006 05:14 pm (UTC)
(Link)
what, about a pixies cover?

also, thanks for getting "Hang On to your Ego" stuck in my head, golly gosh.

(you ought to hear pere ubu cover "surfer girl.")
[User Picture]
From:derspatchel
Date:December 16th, 2006 06:56 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Have you not heard of Matthew's Celebrity Pixies Covers? Oh but Matthew is a talented young man. Some are hit-or-miss, but the best are Levitate Me in the style of the Beach Boys, Hey in the style of Prince, and (my favorite) Wave of Mutilation a la the Bee Gees.
[User Picture]
From:sanspoof
Date:December 18th, 2006 01:21 am (UTC)
(Link)
Sure, but what't the Frank Black cover of Beach Boys song?
[User Picture]
From:janric
Date:December 18th, 2006 08:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
"Hang on to your Ego", which is a cover of "I know there's an answer" by the Beach Boys.
[User Picture]
From:cheezdanish
Date:December 16th, 2006 05:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ooooooooooh, Bobby.

Do I have to sing Schadenfreude at you now?

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com