Log in

No account? Create an account

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

September 13th, 2006

Previous Entry Share Flag Next Entry
05:14 pm - Tonight's episode: A RECIPE... FOR DISASTER! (A Quinn-Martin Production.)
From jodied comes spectacular news currently on the front page of the Cape Cod Times site:
Unusual taco mold explodes into kitchen disaster
WEST BARNSTABLE - A can of chicken noodle soup exploded in a teenager's face yesterday when he used it to try to cook tacos, Fire Chief Joseph Maruca said.

The 17-year-old, whose name could not be released because of medical privacy laws and because he is a minor, was taken to Cape Cod Hospital with minor burns to his face, Maruca said.

Fire fighters were called to a single-family home on Lothrop's Lane at 6:02 p.m. for reports of smoke in the building from an oil explosion. The boy had been molding tortillas around a can of chicken noodle soup and then dunking the shells - and the can - in hot oil to cook them, Maruca said.

The soup inside the can boiled and turned to steam. The roiling contents put pressure on the can, which exploded and shot flaming droplets of hot oil into the teenager's face and across the kitchen. The ceiling of the kitchen was so scorched it will probably need to be replaced, Maruca said.

"I've had almost 30 years as a firefighter and I've never seen anything like it," Maruca said. "I've read about it. It's the same principal that causes explosions of tankers on the highway. The same science, just on a small scale."

The boy's cooking technique was a long-standing family tradition that has always worked fine in the past, according to Maruca.

"People need to understand that liquid in a sealed container that boils will cause the container to explode violently," Maruca said. "It was a lesson for everyone involved."
Wait, wait. Dunking tortilla-wrapped cans of soup in hot oil is a long-standing family tradition?

"Hey, everyone, Mom's making her famous Exploding Tortilla Chicken Soup tonight!"

And with results like this, how long could this "long-standing" tradition be? I'm thinking, what with Natural Selection and all, this was a tradition from, like, maybe last week.

(11 comments | Leave a comment)


[User Picture]
Date:September 13th, 2006 09:23 pm (UTC)
One might guess that perhaps using *empty* cans as molds is the actual tradition. But I do like the idea of "Mom's Exploding Tortilla Chicken Soup".
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
Date:September 13th, 2006 10:30 pm (UTC)
I was just thinking the same thing!
[User Picture]
Date:September 14th, 2006 01:19 pm (UTC)
Exploding lava lamps rule!
[User Picture]
Date:September 13th, 2006 10:00 pm (UTC)
Oh, dear. There must be something in the water in West Barnstable.
[User Picture]
Date:September 13th, 2006 10:31 pm (UTC)
I was getting confused -- where's the mold? -- and then I realized "ohh, they mean the other kind of mold."
[User Picture]
Date:September 14th, 2006 12:33 am (UTC)
I was wondering what kind of mold was so unstable, and whether I had any in my kitchen, and why he was heating up a moldy taco anyways.
[User Picture]
Date:September 17th, 2006 01:12 am (UTC)
Muahaha! me2
[User Picture]
Date:September 13th, 2006 10:31 pm (UTC)
Two other headline from the print edition today were:

MCAS results found lacking
Sixteen schools across Cape Cod, including seven needing corrective action, failed to make positive gains in MCAS.

Teen dies in tumble from car
A 17-year-old boy died yesterday in the neighborhood where he lived after falling from a moving vehicle onto a paved road.

[User Picture]
Date:September 14th, 2006 04:29 am (UTC)
[User Picture]
Date:September 14th, 2006 01:22 pm (UTC)
I use cans of Hormel Chili. Duh!
[User Picture]
Date:September 14th, 2006 02:16 pm (UTC)
You can make caramel by putting a sealed can of condensed milk into a pan of simmering water for I am not sure how long.

The trick is to not look at the time, realize you are late, grab your stuff and leave, forgetting about turning off the heat under said caramel, and having the pot boil dry.

Goopy caramel and shards of tin can everywhere, especially the ceiling.

No. This did not happen to me personally.

> Go to Top