?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Them bits and those pieces - EXCELSIOR, YOU FATHEAD!

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> FREE ICE CREAM

September 13th, 2013


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
03:05 am - Them bits and those pieces
000. I was reading selections from the Digital Comics Museum and, because I was bored, decided to screencap and post fun panels to a Tumblr, which as we all know is locked in mortal combat with Twitter over the coveted title of The Internet's Bumper Sticker. My tumblr thing is called Hey Fellers! and it updates 10 times a day more or less depending on how many panels I've thrown into the queue. I've found that Tumblr is only good for two things: When you want to view random shit, or you want to quickly post random shit and don't care bout opening no dialogues. You can also view a metric boatload of panels all at once thanks to Tumblr's magical archive feature and Web2.0 tomfoolery.

Right now I'm reading through a ton of WWII-era Canadian comic books; I highly recommend the Johnny Canuck series of panels I put up on Wednesday. Further on back is Nyoka the Jungle Girl, a startlingly progressive comic because its female protagonist got her own damn self out of peril, and frequently. (Okay, it's not so progressive when it comes to colonial racial attitudes, but one step at a time here.)

Then there's Dizzy Don, a highly-stylized wacky radio comedian character (s'riously?) who trades cornball jokes with his pals Canary and Shirley, and also just happens to keep solving mysteries because he's an Ace Detective to boot. The writing is charmingly stilted but the character design is weird. I'm willing to bet Dizzy Don started life as a gag-a-day type and then got his own amazing detective series. He just keeps grinning, even in the face of some pretty grimdark pre-Comics Code situations, which is off-putting.

The one thing I have learned from all these comic books was that there sure were a whole lot of Fifth Columnists in Canada during World War II, and they all liked to monologue a lot.

001. Tamarind Bay, a really great Indian restaurant in Harvard Square, has closed for good. What's worse, it closed for good in August, way back before Sonya and I had the thought to eat there again. (I believe we last went in June; it was a good place to visit after recovering from an illness.) What's worse worse, they closed because the building they were in changed hands and the new owner doubled the rent, ostensibly because they can't legally just kick a tenant out, yet want something new in that basement space. They forced out a nine-year tenant much-loved by the locals and for what? So far, bupkis.

What's worse worse worse, Tamarind Bay had another location in Brookline that closed in May because its head chef lost his visa. It's a very nasty stroke of luck to happen to a terrific restaurant; both locations closing within a few months' time due to completely unrelated and arbitrary reasons. What's worse worse worse worst is that Tamarind Bay was the only Indian restaurant around that cooked from the region they did and don't ask me which region because I'm totally blanking. They featured such really good dishes as a really amazing yogurt-marinated tandoor chicken which came with no sauce yet tasted incredible, a lemon rice dish I have not found anywhere else, a ground lamb dish named Rara Gosht which put curry together with lamb and did wonderful things to the taste of both, and an eggplant dish which Sonya really enjoyed and that's saying something because eggplant is a vegetable which can be quite difficult to enjoy. Chicken Tikka Masala, the stalwart staple of many an Indian restaurant in America because it's a relatively safe dish for the timid, was nowhere to be found on Tamarind Bay's menu. God damn they were good. I hope the owners re-open in a new location, but losing both restaurants in three months is a harsh blow. I'd be surprised if anyone could just spring right back from that. (I can wait.)

010. What's that? You say you've always wondered if television's Robey, star of TV's Friday the 13th: The Series, ever put out an unironic pop cover of "One Night in Bangkok", then appeared in a video that doesn't so much scream "80s" at you as it uses several Marshall stacks? Gee, are you ever lucky you read this post today. Even with its lack of dwarves and cheesy Chroma-Key effects, this video wins MTV Bingo in a decisive fashion not seen since "Total Eclipse of the Heart". It's clear they had funds enough in the budget for either irony or hairspray and, well, they sure as hell chose, all right.

PROTIP: You may want to save the video for some time when you think the world's making entirely too much sense.

011. And speaking of irony-free stuff from the 1980s, I saw the trailer for the Robocop remake. Golly but do I have a lot to say about it and I will pretty soon.

pre-emptive tl;dr It stinks!

(14 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:rosefox
Date:September 13th, 2013 07:50 am (UTC)
(Link)
Chicken Tikka Masala, the erstwhile staple of many an Indian restaurant

"Erstwhile" means "former", not "earnest" or "estimable". I know this because a colleague corrected me on it a few years ago. Now I think of it as a contraction of "ere this while" which may or may not be correct but helps me remember.
[User Picture]
From:derspatchel
Date:September 13th, 2013 08:40 am (UTC)
(Link)
Well, then. One shall revise one's vocabulary post-haste. Much obliged.

Edited at 2013-09-13 08:41 am (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:tyopsqueene
Date:September 13th, 2013 08:03 am (UTC)
(Link)
Genuine LOLing at 'it's a hat'.
[User Picture]
From:storme
Date:September 13th, 2013 09:34 am (UTC)
(Link)
That video. Gosh. The world is indeed back in no-sense-allowed mode, thank you.
[User Picture]
From:moon_custafer
Date:September 13th, 2013 11:13 am (UTC)
(Link)
A few years ago we were at the Paradise comics convention in Toronto, and one of the artists of those 1940s comics turned up. His name was Ed Furness and he'd drawn a strip called Freelance. "They used to print them up over at the Globe & Mail," he said, a few times; he was very small and old and a bit absent-minded, and eventually he wandered over to Will Eisner's autograph table and took his seat. Eisner returned, looked at him, and said, "Oh hello. Are you Will Eisner? I've always wanted to meet you."
[User Picture]
From:lillibet
Date:September 13th, 2013 12:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Lampshades?
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:derspatchel
Date:September 13th, 2013 08:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Part of me wants to believe that Robey took the Brynner fan prop home, and that she cherishes it to this day.
[User Picture]
From:sovay
Date:September 15th, 2013 07:26 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Robey took the Brynner fan prop home, and that she cherishes it to this day.

Who wouldn't?
[User Picture]
From:joenotcharles
Date:September 13th, 2013 07:14 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Wait - Plastic Man's Canadian? I didn't know that.

(http://heyfellers.tumblr.com/post/60765422282 has the Canadian Comic Books tag - is it supposed to?)
[User Picture]
From:derspatchel
Date:September 13th, 2013 08:39 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Seems that some of the Canadian publishers had the rights to reprint, in their own titles, American comic stories like stuff from Plastic Man and Archie. Some speech bubbles have been clearly edited, replacing "Americans" with "Canadians" for occasions when someone boasts that Hitler can't lick us fine, strong, upstanding $NATIONALITIES. I think in at least one instance "New York" was even changed to "Toronto", a proud tradition which continues to this day.

The Archie story I found (with the boat and Mr. Weatherbee in his underwear) was reprinted in The Black Hood #1. The publisher re-drew or possibly re-inked entire pages for reasons I'm not quite sure about, and the person who did it is the same person who can't letter for spit, which is why we end up with Archie and Jughead looking like they've just undergone some heavy mutation. On the next page, though, it's back to the American house style. No idea why.
[User Picture]
From:allicat42
Date:September 13th, 2013 08:04 pm (UTC)

Re: 010.

(Link)
You winz teh interwebz! *grynz*

Edited at 2013-09-13 08:04 pm (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:teddywolf
Date:September 14th, 2013 01:30 am (UTC)
(Link)
I used to have the Robey version of "One Night in Bangkok" on a vinyl 45. I prefer the Murray Head version, which I also used to have on a vinyl 45.
[User Picture]
From:sovay
Date:September 14th, 2013 05:52 am (UTC)
(Link)
It's clear they had funds enough in the budget for either irony or hairspray and, well, they sure as hell chose, all right.

Yes, and I think it was inhaled heavily before filming.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com